Yesterday I did one of the worst things I've ever had to do in my life! (The "fish episode" was bad, but maybe not as bad as this!)
I had to cut up a dead rabbit. Most of you know that 1) I don't like hacking at dead things, and 2) I had a pet bunny for over 7 years, growing up!! :o)
A few things made this saga even worse: I (accidentally) stationed myself between the only two guys in our cuisine practical class (a guy from Chicago and the other from the Dominican Republic)...why was this a bad move? The one from the DR talked about HIS pet rabbit and naming everyone's around him, and the Chicago dude kept discussing the grossest things we were doing (chopping off the head, taking the kidneys out of their surrounding fat, cutting the liver from the carcass,etc.)
The things that made this bearable were me taking breaks to breathe, an angel of mercy (one of the chefs) chopping the head off for me, another chef taking out the HEART, and the girl across the marble work space from me covering the bloody heads and innards with a paper towel in the bowl so I wouldn't have to look at the glazed eyes, hairy chins, and front teeth!! :o) I have to laugh about it now, but it was NOT pleasant then! I sang songs to myself and made exasperated, overwhelmed sighs periodically, too...I think I've ruled out butchering AND restaurant work for future plans!! (I'll stick with safer things like pastry and wedding planning.) Oy! "Nothing lasts forever!" :o)
Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment